… a FBI spokesperson on the ground in Fortuna just spoke with John Matthews on KSLG.
- This is the culmination of a two-year investigation.
- This is a bust of “large-scale commercial grows.” NOT medical marijuana.
- Agents from a variety of federal and state organizations — including the IRS and the Postal Service –will be serving 27 warrants.
- He referred to it, perhaps tellingly, as a “commercial grow” — singular. This despite the fact that they are traveling to multiple locations throughout the county.
- The investigation was initiated by a state agency — the California Dept. of Justice. The feds were brought in, he said, because of the financial intricacies of the investigation.
- Why today? Matthews asked. “Gotta pick a day,” the spokesman said.
UPDATE, 8:36 a.m.: Here’s the audio of John Matthews’ interview with Joseph Schadler of the FBI, courtesy KSLG: